COM101 is dedicated to medical students with no prior computer experience. COM101 teaches the essential features of computers : hardware, software, security.
At the end of this course, students will get the essential ideas of computers, their powers and limitations.
GRADING AND DEADLINES
The first component of your grade is a serie of 60 multiple-choice questions to be given in the course of this first semester. Together, they account for 22.5% of your grade.
Starting Sunday 12 November 2017, and each week onward, you will be assigned a with multiple-choice questions. Your score on the quiz depends on all the questions in that quiz. Note that only your score the last time you submit a is counted.
All Quizzes are based on the content delivered during the lectures and Microsoft e-learning platform. You must carefully watch the video and perform the practice before attempting the Quizzes.
All Quizzes will be held in the Cafeteria & Celebration Halls, level 1
You have one attempt only.
The second component of your grade is a serie of 3 Final Assessment for Microsoft Word 2016, Microsoft Excel 2016, Microsoft PowerPoint 2016.
Each Microsoft online course is divided into a number of sections, which contain specific learning video material and tutorials that are intended to be followed sequentially and a Final Assessment to be taken at the end of each Microsoft Course. Together, they account for 22.5% of the final grade.
The third component of your grade is your attendance which count for 5% of your final grade.
The fourth component of your grade is a Timed Final Exam due on Thursday, January 11, 2018.
You must take this final on Thursday, January 11, 2018 (To be confirmed) . You have three hours from the time the final is open to answer all questions. Each question has its own "SUBMIT" button, which you can press any time after you are satisfied with your answer. The buttons can be pressed in any order, and you can work on one question after submitting another. The maximum score is 50. Questions are multiple choice (no penalty for wrong guesses).
- First component : 6 quizzes on Moodle, 22,5% of your final grade
- Second component : 3 Final Assessments on the Microsoft learning platform. Together, they account for 22,5% of your grade.
- Third component : attendance which counts 5 % of your final grade.
- Fourth component is the final exam, which counts 50%. This exam is taken in a three-hour period, and you can submit each question only once.
You need to get a total of 75% of the possible marks; e.g., if you are perfect on the homework, the Final Assessments and attendance, you will need 25% of the possible marks during your exam.
- Office 365 introduction
- Microsoft e-learning platform : an introduction to Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- What are the basic parts of a computer system : chips, CPU, memory, disk, ...
- A little glossary of computer jargon
- How does software work ?
- What is a digital image and how does it work ?
- What is structured data and how does it work ?
- How does the internet work ? : ip address, routing, ethernet, wi-fi, firewall
- Computer security and cyber-security: viruses, trojans, and passwords
- Digital media, images, sounds, video, and compression.
Good luck !